Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's enough

In October, my friend and I started a 5k clinic at The Running Room. We signed up both for social and fitness goals. We only live about 35 km apart, but with us both working full-time, her l-o-n-g commute in the other direction and six kids between us, we rarely found the time to get together.

So, the running clinic became our social outlet with a side of running. We were asked on the first night why we were there. A lot of people were there for their second 5k clinic, hoping to improve their endurance. Others were following up after having been in the Learn to Run clinic and wanted to increase their intervals (from 5 min running, 1 min running intervals up to 10 & 1’s). Many of them had set a marathon or half-marathon race as their goal. When it was my turn, I admitted that I did not like to run, but I wanted to like to run, and that I had little to no interest in running a marathon.

That seems to be the goal for a lot people, the marathon. But, here’s the thing: I can’t think of many things I want to do for 4 to 5 hours (or more), and running is not even close to getting on that list. Running is boring, even with your best friend running and chatting by your side or your iPod pumping your favourite tunes or podcasts. The Running Room promotes a training strategy that includes regular intervals of walking periods. By the end of the clinic, both my friend and I felt that we didn’t require the 1 min walk after 10 minutes, but we looked forward to it as a mark that we were that much closer to being done.

When the clinic was over, many people were asking if we would be signing up for the 10k clinic.

Nope.

We’re still going to run. We’ve signed up for another 5k in March to help in the motivation department and we have put together our own training schedule that builds on what we learned in the clinic. We’ll still get together a couple of times a week to run together. But, we’ve decided that 5k is our distance and our only goal is to finish the 5k faster.

I'm not a running convert by any means.  I don't dread it like I used to, but given the choice between going out for a run and reading a good book, I'll choose the book. There are no marathons or half-marathons in my future.  I could maybe see doing a 10k if I can get to a point where I would be done in less than 45 minutes, because 45 minutes is pretty much my maximum tolerance level for pounding the pavement.  It's certainly not a lofty goal, but it's enough.

This is a picture of my friend and I (right) after our 5k race. Each of the 4,000 participants wore these Santa suits - it was quite the thing to see!

15 comments:

Saly said...

So cool!!! I love the Santa suits.

Unknown said...

Cool outfit! I am really surprised you don't like running!I don't like running in winter, only in the spring, summer and fall. Is the friend "L"?

LoriD said...

Bette - yep, that's her! You would think that I would have some natural inclination to run, but I don't. We both know my brother came from another planet. :-)

Chantal said...

I have done a few 5k's although I am on a break (ya, that's what I'll call it) right now. I am not really a running fan either. I have no aspiration to do any more than 5K. I just think that running is the fastest most effect exercise I can do in 30 minutes that costs me no money. I used to run with a friend and the social (therapeutic) aspect of it was awesome. Now I run alone and it is no where near as fun. I need a running buddy again.

Nowheymama said...

How cute are you two! And good job!

Pickles and Dimes said...

LOVE the Santa suits! And I'm with you - I have NO desire to run anything more than a 5k (well, except for the 7k I'll be running in March that J. dragged me into, and I am still QUITE BITTER about that).

Tess said...

I am totally counting this as a healthkick post.

Congrats on the race! The Santa suits are such a cool idea.

artemisia said...

Love the Santa suit!! Congrats on finishing the clinic.

I like that you have examined and made your own goals, rather than just latching on to a marathon. I can think of other things I'd like to accomplish in my life that also required training, endurance, and badd-assery. But a marathon is not one of them!

Unknown said...

Haha - your brother is from another planet... Toes and all!! :)

rsgoldfast said...

Wipe out Turmoil Druids. Pertaining to lower-level people, a new Disarray Druid is not hard for you to kill and it has expensive drops. Druids tend to be famous for their own herb-dropping price. The Disarray Druid has a combat a higher level 13 and just 200 Existence Factors. They are located in the Taverly, Edgeville as well as Yanille dungeons; Mayhem Druid Tower system; and also the Edgeville Source Dungeon.
Buy Runescape Gold

Cheap Runescape Gold

fifa14kk said...

while donations are based on the number of temps racers attached to the nonprofit complete.Newell will likely be managing a Hayundai GT America from the Usa SportsCar World-class in partnership with Alex Job Race as well as Team San antonio for the childrens charity."I've certainly not been involved with motorsports previously, so it is been recently a reasonably intriguing expertise,Inches composed Newell.
Cheap FUT 15 Coins

FIFA 15 Coins Android

Kevin Marshall said...

Wonderful Article! I have bookmarked this page and I love to share this with my friends and circle of influence.
For information about Web Designing Dubai or Web Designing Karachi please visit website.

WebNagar said...

Hi, Wonderful Article! I have bookmarked this page and I love to share this with my friends and circle of influence.
For information about SEO Services in Karachi please visit website.

WebNagar said...

I have done a few 5k's although I am on a break (ya, that's what I'll call it) right now. I am not really a running fan either. I have no aspiration to do any more than 5K. I just think that running is the fastest most effect exercise I can do in 30 minutes that costs me no money. Best Muslim matrimonial website in Pakistan please visit website.

Roshan Pandey said...

Hi, notthemoty.com, You have a greate article, I really like to read this article, Thanks for sharing this article, I hope this article will be help full for your blog reader, if you need to know about Satta Matka then please visit our website