Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nine!

Today, my big girl, the one that first made me a mom, turns 9. NINE!

Nine years ago last night, my water broke while standing in line at The Future Shop. Luckily I was wearing a long coat and boots, so the water just kind of trickled into my boot allowing me to continue standing in line until I had made my purchases. "When are you due?" the cashier asked. "Soon," I said casually.




I got in the car and drove home. Homer was out of town at his company Christmas party. I called him to let him know that I thought my water had broken, but I wasn't yet in labour. I hung up the phone and called the hospital. The nurse asked me some questions, then advised me to come in for an assessment. I asked if I could wait the two hours it would take for Homer to arrive home. She said that would be okay.



While I waited for Homer, I had a shower, wrapped Christmas presents and packed my hospital bag. At the hospital, they confirmed that my water had broken, but that labour had not started. They advised me to come back in the morning if nothing developed overnight.

The next morning, I stopped in at work to wrap up a couple of things, then Homer and I walked over to the hospital. The thought was that they would induce me, but apparently there were a rash of babies to be delivered, so they hooked me up to an IV with antibiotics (because my water had broken) and I sat in a hospital room all day waiting for labour to start on its own. Friends from work stopped by to see me, I finished all my Christmas cards and Homer and I played card games.


At 5:45 PM, I felt a little cramp. It went away quickly, but then returned. When a nurse popped her head in, I mentioned it to her. She told me to get ready for a long night, because it sounded like labour was about to start. At 6:10 PM that same nurse came back and I was up on the bed on my hands and knees panting like a basset hound. She was shocked, did a quick assessment and called for a delivery team. The team arrived about 10 minutes later and I started to push.

I continued to push until 9:15 PM. Everyone in the room cheered as (with the help of forceps) my little baby girl finally entered the world.

She's a fantastic kid who never ceases to amaze me with her intelligence, wit and kindness.

Happy Birthday Lisa!

14 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

She is beautiful!

Also, I never thought about it that way... that the first child was the one that first made me a mother. That is a really neat way to think about the first :)

Fran said...

Congratulations!! I not only think of my oldest as the one who made me a mom, but also as the one who helped me decide to do it again. #3 however......LOL!

Sarah said...

"Soon," I said casually.
Ha ha ha! I would have immediately hit the ground and been all, "Someone call an ambulance!"
Also, that birth story is NUTS! No real build up labor, just one contraction and then right to pushing? That's wild!

Jess said...

Congrats to you and happy birthday to Lisa! What wonderful photos.

Chantal said...

wow what an interesting story. I have never had my water break. Maybe this time...

9, omg. My boy is 8 and I am so overwhelmed by it. I will cry at 9 for sure :)

Fiona Picklebottom said...

Happy birthday, Lisa! She's beautiful!

Lora said...

happy day to both of you!

I can't believe she is nine. I've been reading for two years that means, because I remember when she was seven!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Happy 9th birthday, Lisa! She is beautiful.

artemisia said...

Happy Birthday!

Amreen said...

Happy birthday, Lisa! She is so beautiful. I loved reading your birth story. made me teary.

Beck said...

Happy birthday to her! She's a gorgeous kid.
And also: "Soon." HAHAHAH!

Pickles and Dimes said...

Happy 9th, Lisa!

I love reading birth stories. I can't believe how calm and collected you were throughout the whole thing.

Bette said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Time flies doesn't it?!?
S is 11 now and just became a "certified babysitter" according to some teenager at the library that taught her the course. hmmm... It was momentary lapse of judgement on my part to let her TAKE the course in the first place.

Robin said...

Hi! I saw mention of your post on Laura's Menu Plan Monday page, and came over to check it out. I really like your blog! Funny, my daughter turned 9 on December 15th, too! She's my youngest though...hope yours had a great day!