Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Back to Business

Well, I’m back from a couple of weeks off with the kids. We had a great time doing little day trips, making crafts, visiting friends and just hanging out. I was a stay-at-home mom for a couple of weeks and I loved it. I truly admire SAHM’s, because if I did this all the time, I think I might snap. It has nothing to do with the kids. And I would NEVER say that it would be boring because those kids keep me entertained and hopping. The problem is, I don’t think I’m disciplined or organized enough to stay home with the kids. Here are my challenges:

Computer time. How do you find the time to sit at the computer and read blogs, let alone write them? I swear, I would sit down for 2 minutes while the kids were otherwise occupied and I suddenly became a magnet. They neeeeeeeded me. Same goes for the phone. My only computer time seemed to be at the end of the day, and then I would just catch up on a few blogs and email and call it a night.


Housework. I had a really hard time just letting go of the housework. I feel like a bit of a failure because I was off for two weeks and I didn’t get to steam cleaning the living room carpet (which I would rather just rip out, but that’s a tale for another day). I did clean out all the kids’ drawers, rearrange, clean and purge stuff from the playroom, clean out the garage, tidy up the backyard, arrange to have a dead tree cut down and rip out the carpet and install a new one in the family room. But still, that living room carpet haunts me.

Coffee. I haven’t had a full cup of hot coffee in two weeks. Seriously.

The Fridge. When I’m home I canNOT keep my fat ass out of the fridge. It beckons me day and night. I snack all day. I need to bake. I need to cook. I need to be back at work for the discipline and the diet.

If I won the lottery tomorrow (which I may very well do, because I have a ticket), I would quit my job, hire a housekeeper and enjoy my kids to the max. I would also have a nanny on call, just so I could have some me time. Just like I have at work.

5 comments:

Beck said...

Ah, the fridge. Yeah, that IS a hard one. I'm currently dealing with some excess blubber that is completely from not being able to keep MY fat ass out of the fridge, sadly. But I do love being home with my kids.

Tess said...

Yay! You're back! Wait, did you say TWO WEEKS off? You Canadians and your vacation time!

The coffee issue. YES. If I had to list the Number One benefit of being a working mom, I would have to say "The ability to drink an entire cup of coffee in peace".

Sara said...

I'm so glad you're back!

I hear ya, I just don't have it in me to be a SAHM.

And Tessie too, work is the only place I EVA finish my coffee.

email said...

The kids eating breakfast at a little table in the playroom while watching Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents will solve all your coffee woes, while annoying and giving lots ammunition for criticizing your parenting skills to those "read-all-the-parenting-books" moms. Since annoying those moms is so much fun, you accomplish two things at once, and multitasking is the key to being a SAHM.

You didn't get to steam cleaning the carpet? I don't think I got to VACUUMING it last week. I am totally AMAZED by the stuff you said you got done. I'd like you to come for a visit. :)

Everything is a little easier when school starts. There aren't as many kids home, and the ones that are home usually take a nap at some point. It's actually not the staying home part that'll run you ragged, it's the CONSTANT chauffeuring, kids that have to be different places AT THE SAME TIME, that'll wear you down. Okay, I lied. It's the staying home part, too.

Laural Dawn said...

That is exactly what I would do if I won the lottery! Exactly.
I have to admit, I have my son trained that he knows Mommy must have her morning coffee. He will say "mommy will be grouchy till coffee time".
And, yes. Fridge is the enemy.
I always salute SAHM's. I could never ...