Friday, February 6, 2009

Entering a new phase

Just a little over eight years ago, I painted the nursery. I chose "French Blue" as a gender-neutral colour that I could live with.

When Lisa was born, the painting was the only thing that was done in the room. I came home from the hospital, surprised to find that Homer had gone out and purchased a change table, a tallboy shelf, baskets, a diaper pail and a baby bath. A couple of months later, we added the crib, a gift from my parents.

The room stayed essentially the same for each addition to our brood. The nursery is the smallest room in the house, so as a new baby moved into the nursery, the big kid would move into his or her own big kid room.

This week, we said goodbye to our nursery and goodbye to our baby days. Our baby is too big for a crib, too old for a nursery.

It was a family affair transforming the room. Maggie's only request was that the room be purple and pink.


It was more emotional for me than I expected, painting over that French Blue. Taking apart the crib, knowing that my baby would never sleep in it again was agonizing.

But then, the new room started to take shape. The purple walls, the bed linens I had found months ago, the little butterfly carpet my sister gave her - they all worked together to create a pretty, fun room. Maggie squealed with delight when she saw it all set up.

She told her friends and teachers at daycare that she had a big girl room that was only hers. This room, the way it's decorated and accessorized just screams MAGGIE. She deserves that.

Sweet dreams, big girl. You'll always be my baby.

13 comments:

Jess said...

Awww. How poignant to be painting over that work you did so long ago when your life now was just a plan, you know? But so glad she has her own personalized space. And that she picked purple!

Nowheymama said...

Great, great job on the decorating, but WAAH! I know we'll feel that way about our little nursery room someday, too.

Astarte said...

I love that the three of them were able to help change the room that had been theirs at one time or another. It looks beautiful, too.

artemisia said...

What an emotional transformation. I suppose that is what parenting is all about, yes?

It looks great. Great job, Mama!

Kristin.... said...

I. Am a sap. I cried. What a great room she has now!! I love the purple and the butterfly rug.

Chantal said...

That room is so nice. Good for her. Big girl!

Fiona Picklebottom said...

The room looks GREAT!

Badness Jones said...

The new room looks fabulous! I was spared the agony of saying good-bye to the nursery, because both my little hellions were out of the crib while still babies. The Princess was 11 months old, and would make herself throw up anytime we tried to put her in it, and Bad learned to climb out at 8 1/2 months. Good thing I made do with hand-me-downs and didn't spend real money on one!

LD said...

That's beautiful. I love the room. It's the big girl version of our nursery!!!
It will kill me when I have to re-do Chloe's nursery.

Amreen said...

Awww. your post made me teary. that transition from baby to little girl is so rapid. My youngest is now 10 months and starting to show signs of "girlhood". I love the peacefulness and softness of her nursery. I know that this time is transient - I'm trying to savour it while i can.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Awww. I'm all mushy just reading it. No growing up! But what a sweet, sassy room for a little girl.

Beck said...

The Baby would like the nursery repainted in purple, too - little girls and purple!
Her room looks terrific. Great work!

Tess said...

Aww. AWWW!

Great picture of the three of them.