Monday, December 17, 2007

Damn you, weather man.

I like a winter storm as much as the next guy. In fact I LOVE winter storms for the most part. If it happens on a work day, there’s a pretty good chance I’ll have the day off. My neighbours on both sides LOVE their snow blowers, leaving us to just shovel the walkway from our front door to the driveway. I love hunkering down with the family, baking cookies, eating soup, watching movies and playing games.

As much as I love a good snowstorm, I did not love what happened yesterday. Lisa’s birthday party has been planned for a month. We were going to a gymnastics place with 15 of her closest friends. They would jump, bounce, tumble and balance for an hour, eat pizza, cupcakes and fruit for another hour, then I would send all the kiddies home with loot bags. Birthday festivities would be done.

They were calling for a storm. It was to start Friday night and continue throughout Saturday into the wee hours of Sunday. That would have been fine – plenty of time to get the roads cleared for a Sunday afternoon party. Except, that the storm was late. By a day. I spent Sunday morning frantically trying to figure out phone numbers for kids in Lisa’s class that she only knew by their first names. I booked an alternate date with the gymnastics place. I threw the cupcakes and the perishable items from the loot bags into the freezer. I broke the birthday girl’s heart.

Lisa was actually quite understanding about the whole thing. Of course she was disappointed, but she didn’t cry or even pout. After a long, long hug, she suggested that, during the time that the party would have been, we play games and all have fun together. So we did.

The new party is in two weeks. I will go ballistic if there’s another storm. Do you hear me weather man? BALLISTIC!

12 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Poor, poor Lisa. She handled it so well, though. I hope she has an *awesome* party in two weeks. She deserves it more than ever now!

Heidi

Jess said...

Aww, poor Lisa! But she handled it so well. I'm really impressed.

email said...

Poor Lisa! I hope the weather is good for her rescheduled party!

Tess said...

Poor kid. This is exactly how us Great White Northerners turn into such a hearty lot.

I'm so glad you could reschedule!

Christina Schmidt said...

UGH, SO sorry to hear this... I was hoping for you. Fingers crossed for NO storms in two weeks!

Chey said...

aww, that's so sad. I hate winter storms for just this reason.

Badness Jones said...

That's an amazing kid....I hope that the rescheduled party is perfect. I think that as mommies we tend to take our kids' disappointments so much harder than my own!

bananafana said...

Glad you could reschedule - my fingers will be crossed for you in two weeks! What a great little girl you have - hope you all had fun playing games

Saly said...

What a little trooper she is.

Misty said...

:( No pouting or crying? What a big big girl. I think I might have pouted and cried, just a little. Milked it a bit, just to see what I could get out of it. Heh. Bet you are glad I am not your kid.

It will not storm in two weeks. It will not storm in two weeks. I will be chanting for you.

shay said...

aw! Poor birthday girl!
What a good sport you both are. YAY mom for saving the day:)

Laural Dawn said...

I'm sorry that happened.
Poor thing. I can't believe she didn't even cry. I'm glad you were able to reschedule though!
I've heard gymnastics parties are fun.