Monday, December 3, 2007

Day 1 of the new arrangements.

I mentioned awhile back that our nanny was leaving to go and have a baby. Well, Friday was her last day. After a few tears, a little party and some cupcakes, the kids said good-bye to someone who has been a part of their little lives for more than a year. We’ll go to visit her one weekend after the baby is born (she’s a 4-hour drive away), and we’ll keep up with her over email, but for the most part, she’s gone.

So, today was the first day of the new arrangements. As expected, Maggie was royally pissed off that we were not planning to stay with her while she went about her day at the new daycare (I ended up getting a spot at the one I wanted, where I know everyone and they know me, thus reinforcing my positive attitude, no back-up plan approach). Never mind that she completely ignored us on the two mornings we took her for orientation – us leaving was not part of the deal. As a last ditch effort, she wailed, “ [Nanny] come and sit?” No sweetie… you’ll have to make new friends today. I called over at 10:30 and she had been complaining on and off throughout the morning, but was generally doing okay. I feel an ulcer forming, but that’s me.

I went to pick up Bart to walk over to his new afternoon babysitter’s house. He was slightly miffed that I was there… he just wanted the babysitter to get him. Do you ever get the feeling that you just can’t win? We’ll see how he feels at the end of the day, but he was quite excited that his little friend from school was coming too and was happy to shove me out the door.

I’ll pick up Lisa at the end of the school day and walk over with her too. I don’t worry about her at all. She has Bart there and, even though she comes across as very shy, she’s actually quite adventurous and eager to try new things. She’s also very likable and well behaved, so I don’t anticipate any problems. Hopefully this prediction doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass.

So, there’s where we sit in the middle of Day 1. I’m hoping that, magically, Days 2 to 100 will fall into place, everyone will be happy and I can actually get some work done. Let me say it for you: HA!


bananafana said...

i'm feeling a little nauseous for you. I'm glad you got the daycare you wanted! but I don't like change so this sounds awful and wonderful. Hopefully you'll make it through with no ulcer today

Jess said...

Sounds like it's going pretty well, all things considered. I imagine that by Day 100 everyone will have the routine down. Maybe not by Day 2, though. But here's hoping.

Family Adventure said...

Good luck! It'll all work out, but you're wise to anticpate a few bumps in the road...


Welcome to our World said...

Sigh for lost nannies. Ours "left us" too (for very different reasons... we just could not pay her enough at the time plus personally I think she was not a very good fit for us - personality wise.)

But still it was terrible and hard to find the right thing after having Matthew home for the better part of 12 months... After one misstep we have found the right place and love our current "day care" situation.

It was still hard - I am sure everything will fall into place, eventually!

Tessie said...

Yay for no back-up plan needed!

Sorry about your nanny. That must have been sad. I mean, yay, new baby, but still...sad.

JMC said...

Sounds like you're off to a promising start. I always kind of fly by the seat of my pants, too, and everything does kind of magically fall into place.

Misty said...

It'll be ok, hon. Change is hard, but you will all get through it just fine.

Artemisia said...

Sounds like it is going okay, so far. I really hope it goes smoothly, I can't imagine how nerve-wracking this stuff would be.

Good luck!

Laural Dawn said...

Ohhh ... poor you. First days and even weeks of daycare arrangements are tough.
We've been through it a couple of times, and though necessary, it's not always easy.
Hang in there. Kids are resilient. And, they also know when they are giving you a hard time.
Because of our schedules I never do drop-offs, and even though Matt has been in daycare for 3 years now, if I drop him off he screams and cries hysterically sometimes.
It sucks.
But, I (still) always call and check and makes sure he is okay. And, he always is.