Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 2 - sorry about your windows

So, the babysitter is sick today. That's right. Babysitter. Day 2. Sick.

Bart will go to our friend's house after school. Homer will have to pick him up and drive him across town at noon. He'll then go to get Lisa at 3:30. He'll kill a little time with her, then go pick up Bart, then Maggie, then me.

Maggie was so happy when I picked her up yesterday. She was singing "if you're happy and you know it" and wiggling her little bum. She greeted me with a big hug and lots of giggles (nervous laugh?) She chatted all the way home about her day.

This morning, she willingly got into the car. Willingly got out of the car. Walked to the front door, then started crying, "No mommy! No!" I finally released her arms from the grasp they had on my neck and hair and passed her off to her teacher. If your windows shattered this morning, I'm afraid that was probably my baby screaming her head off at my unforgivable betrayal. Sorry about that.

13 comments:

Tess said...

SUX about the babysitter. I hate that dance.

I feel your pain on the daycare drop-off. It has come to the point now where all the OTHER kids in the class start crying and running to the window when I leave too. WTF? I'm not THEIR mom! Is the trauma fresh each time a parent leaves? ARGG!

LoriD said...

No Tessie! The correct comment was "AD screamed like that for two days, but now it's no problem at drop-off." You can try again, if you like.
:-0

Tess said...

Actually, some of the other kids take my leaving far worse than she does! One thing that helped me was to wait a few minutes and peek back in. She is always okay so then I feel better leaving for good.

Also, she only screamed like that for two days but now it's no problem.

Saly said...

AAH, we are so there, but with the boy. It's INSANE. He's nearly 4.

I don't think I had an email address for you, but I have moved. I hope you'll visit. :)

Christina Schmidt said...

I agree with Tessie about the peek back in after a few minutes thing. When our son was at a regular large daycare center he would sob and cry and scream enough to shatter the windows as well. My husband & I had to walk away down a long hall which our son could not see down and by the time we hit the door we could hear him laughing & talking.

I knew he was going to be okay when ever I heard that - it was just that initial good bye thing that ate him up.

LoriD said...

Update: I called at 10:30 and they said she screamed like that for "several" minutes, but had been fine ever since.

email said...

I used to call my kids "velcro children" when they clung to me like that. I only have one velcro child left, now. The others leave me willingly.

Family Adventure said...

The bump in the road came early on....hang in there!

Heidi

Jess said...

Your child sounds whimsical, in a mostly good way. I'm sure it will get better soon. And I hope your babysitter also gets better soon.

Flibberty said...

When I used to work in a day care, I was on the receiving side of the screaming. Usually, it lasted about 1 mintue until the child got distracted, or was comforted enough by one of us. It's always heart breaking though.

mom of the year said...

No worries. I didn't want to clean the fingerprints and dog snot off of my windows anyway. Now I can get new ones instead!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Aw. So hard to leave them when they are like that.
Hope the babysitter is better soon!

Blog said...

It was either your baby, or my monkey screaming.... ;)