Monday, March 3, 2008

Check your batteries…

… and hug your babies.

There was a tragedy here over the weekend. An early morning fire claimed the lives of 5 people, including three little girls and their mother.

The fire chief has said that there were no working smoke detectors. On the news last night, he had tears in his eyes as he said angrily, “We too often find that there are smoke detectors without working batteries in fatal fires. Then we find that the TV remote control batteries are working fine.”

Even though we just changed the batteries in our seven (yes, 7 – I live with Elmer the Safety Elephant) smoke detectors at Daylight Savings Time a few months ago, we changed them all again yesterday. All the while, somewhere, a mother and grandmother was arranging 4 funerals and wishing to go back in time.

11 comments:

Misty said...

Oh, no no no no.

Will do.

Chantal said...

OMG that is so sad

Saly said...

Things like that go right to the pit of my stomach. So sad....

bananafana said...

I can't even imagine . . .
we just changed all of ours and put reminders in our cell phones so we'd remember to check them

Sarah said...

How horrific. Thanks for the reminder.

email said...

That's awful. So sad.

I was just thinking this morning, as the crap in the bottom of my toaster oven began smoking and the smoke alarm didn't register a complaint, that we need to change the batteries.

Tess said...

I like the idea of changing the batteries with the clocks at Daylight Savings Time. I wish they would mention it more on the news.

Terrible story. Good reminder.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

OH Gosh, my heart is just aching for that family. And those poor firefighters.
I am going out to buy some new smoke detectors today, ours don't seem to be very sensitive.

Beck said...

That's been on our news, too. God, what a tragedy.

LD said...

That was such a sad story.
And, it happens far far too easily and too often.
I also made sure our fire detectors were working. We always change the batteries at time changes. I insist and my husband rolls his eyes ... and then he admits he's just done it.
Fire is a scary thing.

artemisia said...

Oh, my. Thoughts being sent out to the family and batteries have been added to my shopping list.